Creamy Cajun Pasta
for 8 servings
2 tablespoonsunsalted butter
1 lbspicy italian sausage, cut into rounds (455 g)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 tablespoongarlic, minced
1 tablespoontomato paste
2 tablespoonsMcCormick® Jazzy Spice Blend
1 lbdried pasta, penne (455 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
8 ozmushroom, stemmed and sliced (225 g)
14 ½ ozfire-roasted tomato, 1 can (410 g)
4 cupschicken stock (960 mL)
5 ozcream cheese, cubed(140 g)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium heat until just bubbling. Add the sausage and then season with salt. Brown for 2 minutes on 1 side, then stir and brown on the other side for 2 minutes more.
- Add the onion, season with salt, and cook for 2 minutes, until starting to soften. Add the jalapeño, garlic, and tomato paste. Stir to distribute the tomato paste. Add the Jazzy spice blend and stir to combine.
- Add the pasta, red and green peppers, mushrooms, and salt and stir to combine. Pour in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the pasta is cooked through and the peppers are tender but not mushy.
- Mix in the cream cheese to create a thick, creamy sauce.
- Serve garnished with scallions, if desired.